LL-L "Language politics" 2004.10.09 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 10 02:40:08 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais <goidel.glas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.10.09 (02) [E]

Latha math, a Lowlanders;

Mark wrote:
> I don't know, but my reading indicates that the French Acadamy has no
> significant control over the French Language of French speakers, for all
> it's efforts; consider 'le weekend, le picnic, le parking &c.' & there

We've got to remember that oftentimes regulation does work: Witness in
Québec "la fin de semaine", "le stationnement" for 'weekend' and
'parking'. Furthermore, there's "le courriel" for "l'e-mail". L'Office
québécoise de la langue française is really good at making neologisms
and getting them to be used - which is important, as French is a
minority language here in North America. I'll relate that to Lowlandic
languages below, Ron - fear not !

Tom wrote:
> It is true that I had completely forgotten the Quebec reference. The
> pronunciation of French there and much of the vocabulary is markedly
> different from the (Northern France) French standard. Does this mean
> there is another standard there?  I have met several French Canadians in
> France. I was very surprised at one woman who restricted her
> conversation because she said she didn't have a French accent.

There is another standard, although I think that formerly Parisian
French was held up as the higher standard - the Parisian French 'r'
actually replaced the native Québécois.

Tom wrote furthermore:
> I concede that this thread is not strictly about Lowlands languages but
> languages in general. For me it ties in with what may be the Lallands
> dialect's future quandry of  whether to create a standard or not.

The problem is the public's mindset. The thing with l'Office de la
langue française is that it is working in a highly nationalistic
environment with a very sympathetic government that is more than
willing to pass laws forcing standards on people. There's the very
urgent sense of being on the precipice of being overwhelmed by "les
anglophones". Meanwhile, in Scotland, you have this idea of Lallans
being not important, being a dialect, etc - it's closeness to English
is a sort of weakness, because it makes it vulernable to being labeled
dialect and not accepted, &c. French in N. America is in the lucky
situation of most definitely being a distinct language. Besides that,
who knows how many Scots support Lallans as a separate language?
There's a significant level of nationalism in the country, but usually
it appears to me that they claim Gaelic, and not Scots, as their
language of identity, or at least language of lip service. But our
various Scottish subscribers can fill us in more completely than I.

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais