LL-L "Botanica" 2004.10.11 (06) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 11 21:20:57 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.OCT.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.11 (03) [E]

Gabriele wrote:
"Yggdrasil is not an oak tree, it's an ash."

But across the Indo-European languages, the species of tree referred to by
any term shared across the family often differs from language to language
(remember the famous Beech Line).

I may be completely wrong, but I can see cognates for _oak_ and _tree_
within _yggdrassil_ (that is, _ygg_ and _dra-_ respectively), even though it
is an ash. (Of course, _ygg_ could just as well represent an archaic form of
_ash_, too.)

I should also point out a personal affinity with oaks here, as Derry where I
live derives from Ir. _daire_ or _doire_ (the latter is the modern name in
Irish), 'oak grove', referring to the sacred grove that sat where St
Columb's Cathedral sits now. When the English arrived they referred to the
(then wooded) hill as _the Derrie_. Today there are many businesses with the
word _oak_ in their names, and a local school is _Oakgrove_. The emblem of
the Derry Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) is an oak leaf and the county
team is referred to as "the Oak Leaf County". There is certainly still a lot
of fondness for oaks among us Derry wans.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.