LL-L "Botanica" 2004.10.11 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 11 23:25:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.OCT.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Botanica" 2004.10.11 (06) [A/E]

Críostóir wrote:
> Gabriele wrote:
> "Yggdrasil is not an oak tree, it's an ash."
>
> But across the Indo-European languages, the species of tree referred to by
> any term shared across the family often differs from language to language
> (remember the famous Beech Line).
>
> I may be completely wrong, but I can see cognates for _oak_ and _tree_
> within _yggdrassil_ (that is, _ygg_ and _dra-_ respectively), even though
it
> is an ash. (Of course, _ygg_ could just as well represent an archaic form
of
> _ash_, too.)

An ash by any other name...
Of course we are all very fond of oak trees and very few people even know
what an ash tree looks like these days, but we should still give the ash its
due. Ashes to ashes, oaks to oaks.

Not to be confused, by the way, with the rowan tree, called mountain ash in
America and Eberesche in German, which is a different tree altogether. It,
too, plays a big role in mythology, offering protection against werewolves
and other evil spirits.

"Oh, the oak and the ash and the bonnie rowan tree,
they flourish at home in the North country."

Gabriele Kahn