LL-L "Folklore" 2004.10.13 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 14 00:48:33 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2004 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2004.10.13 (02) [E]

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> asked
> Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2004.10.13 (02) [E]
>
> I take it the notorious banshee (< Irish _bean sídhe_ 'sídhe woman') is a
> member of this _sídhe_

Certainly is. BEWARE ! :-)
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>

henry.pijffers at saxnot.com asked
>I read a book (or 2) by Greg Bear about the Sidhe. In his book, he
>described the pronunciation as something like "shdee" (I read the Dutch
>version, where he wrote "sjdie", if I remember correctly). Is that the
>correct pronunciation?
I must stress that I am not a Gaelic speaker myself but DALRIADA, an
organsisation dedicated to Highland Culture stated it was pronounced 'SHE'.
Mind you there probably are minor local variants just as in Scots.
I've not come across Greg Bear and can't help wondering if he is just
another expatriate creating myths about a culture they do not fully
understand. We have a wave of such stuff at present involving ancient Celts,
knights Templar, and the lovely Rosslyn Chapel so I tend to be a sceptic
unless real evidence is presented. Dan Brown's novel 'The Da Vinci Code
takes it to absolute extremes.

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2004.10.13 (07) [E]

Ron wrote:
>> Her eery wailing at the imminent death of someone in the vicitinity
I recall a lady of Highland origin when I was a child who told us about
another spirit heralding death. Known as The Grey Man of (can't recall the
area). Anybody who saw this apparition when walking in the hills and moors
died within the week. Her grandfather came home from a walk telling the
family he had seen The Gray Man, he died within the scheduled period.
In some areas the Banshee would be found near a stream washing a funeral
shroud and keening in mourning.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

It sounds like you're getting yourself good and ready for Halloween, Tom,
even though it's in the springtime for you.

For those of you who want to do likewise, I'm yet again plugging Klaus
Groth's Lowlands Saxon (Low German) poem _Dat gruli Hus_ and my translation
_The Eerie House_:

http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/gruli.htm

Both the original and the translation rhyme and can be read aloud to scare
the kids.

The home page: http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/