LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.14 (02) [E/French]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 14 16:03:49 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.OCT.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.08 (04) [E/French]

Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com <Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com> Wrote
> Ils disaient qu'ils ont changer leur accent
> parceque ses camarades se les moquent par on appelle « teuchter ».
> Qu'est-ce que signifie ce mot ?
>
> What does « Teuchter » mean ?
Trop difficile repondre en francais mais en anglais....
Teuchter is a rather derogatory word used by Scots Lowanders to denote
people of Highland origin. Frequently those moving to the Lowlands,
My personal guess (that's all it is) being that it originated during the
shameful Highland Clearances (18th - 19th centuries) when many starving
evictees moved south in search of food and work. Like immigrants anywhere
they were given the most menial tasks at first and were regarded as
inferior. Why Teuchter ? I have two theories.
1. Those folks spoke The Gaelic and this may have been a parody of how their
speech sounded.
2. Streets in those days were unpaved and could get very muddy as were the
fields of farms where many of those poor people worked. It could be
onomatopoeic simulating the teuch teuch sound their great boots made
stomping through the glaur. To support this latter another Scots phrase for
them was "Muckle clodhoppers".
Regarding The Black Watch, recently disbanded alas, one never entered a pub
where they were drinking and shouted 'Baaaaaaaah'. They had a certain unjust
reputation applied later also to Kiwis. :-)
Incidently Scottish Travelling People known as Tinkers speak the Gaelic and
are regarded by some as being descendants of Clearances victims rather than
being of Roma origin.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.13 (09) [E/French]

Here are two stories in Lower Saxon about the "kattuul" (tawny owl, Strix
aluco). The first one is about a witch, in keeping with Halloween...
http://www.e-stories.de/view-kurzgeschichten.phtml?5977
http://www.e-stories.de/view-kurzgeschichten.phtml?7634

"Je heb mense en katuule, maar katuule 't méést"
Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Gabriele:

> "Je heb mense en katuule, maar katuule 't méést"

Did you make this up or did someone else write it (in a Lowlands Saxon
dialect of the Netherlands?)?

For those who don't understand, it means "There are people and there are
tawny owls, mostly tawny owls, though."

I'm asking because German _Kauz_ 'tawny owl' -- mostly in the phrase
_komischer Kauz_  'weird ...' or in the phrase _alter Kauz_ 'old ...' --
also denotes a strange, excentric (usually but not necessarily elderly)
person, a weird codger, an odd fogey, a gink, a queer card, a rum one, a
weirdo, an oddball, etc.  In this light the above saying may make more sense
to everyone.  In Lowlands Saxon (Low German) of Germany a person like this
might be called a _sünner Klaas_ or a _Sünnerklaas_, _sünner_ here alluding
to 'different', 'weird', _Klaas_ (< Niklaas 'Nicholas') being 'Nick', and
_Sünnerklaas_ being 'Santa Claus' or 'Father Christmas'.

LS _nacht-uul_ and _kat-uul_ 'tawny owl' do not have the same sort of
connotation.  _Nacht-uut_ ("nightowl") is used exactly as is English
"nightowl," i.e., denoting a person who is up at all hours of the night.