LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.15 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 15 16:51:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Gabriele Kahn asked under "Language varieties":

> But, speaking of Leiden and dialects: is it really true, as I was told
> repeatedly, that four different dialects exist in the city of Leiden
alone?

It wouldn't surprise me.  Many larger cities are more than one dialect, many
of them numerous ones.   This happens particularly in cities that grew out
of a conglomeration of integrated smaller towns or villages.

People in New York City can oftentimes tell which parts people are from just
from the way they talk.

Hamburg, Germany, -- irrespective of whether looked at as a city or as a
federal state -- has a fair number of Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects
(besides sociolects).  There are some minor variations north of the Elbe
river, with more noticeable ones in the areas of Altna/Altona, Barmbek,
Bargdörp/Bergedorf and Aumühle.  Then there are at least two dialects on the
Elbe Islands, and south of the river, in Harburg and surroundings, there are
several original dialects with a noticeable division between the _Marsch_
(low-lying marshland) and _Geest_ (elevated sandy region) dialects (the
latter of which belong to the Heath range).  Then there are the farmers'
dialects of Veerlannen/Vierlanden and Olland/Altes Land as well as the very
distinctive one of the once fishery-based community Finkwarder/Finkenwerder.
Based on various LS dialects, there is a range of Missingsch German dialects
as well.  (By the way, I have heard that at least one place-specific Turkish
dialect has been developing in Hamburg, apparently influenced in part by the
Missingsch-influenced German varieties.)

I understand that there is or used to be numerous English dialects (not
counting sociolects) in Greater London, even within the actual city of
London.