LL-L "Orthography" 2004.10.15 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 15 16:55:14 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2004.10.14 (10) [E]

Hoi Reinhard

I just read your explanation of the ANS spelling below and at your
Sassisch-site.
It's not yet totally clear to me how ey and ee, ou and oo are pronounced.
Is ANS ey  pronounced like Dutch ei/ij [Ei], or Dutch ee [e:i]; ANS ou =
Dutch ou [au] or D oo [o:u].
ANS ee = [e:] or [E:], ANS oo = [o:] or [O:]? ANS öy = Dutch ui [öy] or
Dutch eu [ø:y]?

I think it's a good idea to have a LSaxon spelling of its own, but I suppuse
ANS is meant only for te Lower Saxon
of Northern Germany. For Dutch Lower Saxon dialects it would only be fit
maybe for Gronings, but even
Groningen LS doesn't really have these oppositions ee vs ey, oo vs ou. Gr
has ai [a:i] and ee[e:i], au [a:u] and oo[o:u],
ui [öy] and eu [ø:y].
Most other Dutch Lower Saxon have oo [o:] vs oa [O:], ee [e:] vs è/ea/ae
[E:], and eu [ø:] vs öä/äö [ö:].
The pronunciation of  ee, oo, eu as monophthongs are even one of
characteristics of most Dutch Lower Saxon
vs the diphthongs in modern Standard Dutch (based on Western/Hollandic).

I understand ANS also has Y [i:] for German/Dutch based  IE.
For Lower Saxon writers in the Netherland (like myself) this is a bit hard
to accept.
In Dutch, Y is just another way to write IJ [Ei] (like Afrikaans y = Dutch
ij) and in LS this ij is normally [i:], written ie.
Dutch tijd [tEit] = DLS tied [tit], Dutch blijven ["blEiv@] = DLS blieven
[bli:bM] etc.
Using spellings for DLS like  tyd, blyven  would be seen as [Ei] in stead of
[i(:)] and be far too Dutch for us, even after
practice. I understand that Northern German Saxons might welcome a spelling
that reminds of Dutch - their most
related standard language- above that of German, but in the Netherlands  we
don't have to fight High German,
and our dialects have a different nature... Ingmar

> From: R. F. Hahn <> Subject: Orthography
>
> Ingmar,
>
> You wrote under "Language varieties" today:
>
> > But I wonder how these EI and OU are pronounced, maybe not so different
> from
> > Dutch EE [e:i] and OO [o:u] that are in fact diphthongs too.
> > I noticed reading the translations of my scarry poem that Reinhard uses
> > twodifferent ways too spell
> > Lower Saxon: one with OO and EE ("German-based orthography"), the other
> > with OU and EY.
> > So Franz and Reinhard: what do you mean by that? Houdoe, Ingmar
>
> First of all, let's reestablish the fact that Franz and I use different
> languages: Low Franconian and Lowlands Saxon respectively.
>
> What happened to "Low German" (or "Platt") in Germany is that Low
Franconian

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Hoi, Ingmar!

Thanks for your interest and comments.

The ANS does not have its own pronunciation.  It is supposed to be "above"
dialects (phonemic), i.e., should be pronounced in whatever way a reader's
dialect demands.  So far it works at least for the North Saxon dialect
range.

> Is ANS ey  pronounced like Dutch ei/ij [Ei], or Dutch ee [e:i]; ANS ou =
> Dutch ou [au] or D oo [o:u].
> ANS ee = [e:] or [E:], ANS oo = [o:] or [O:]? ANS öy = Dutch ui [öy] or
> Dutch eu [ø:y]?

(~ = dialectal variation)

y = [i:]
e(e) = [e:] ~ [E:]
u(u) = [u:]
üy = [y:]
o(o) = [o:]
a(a) = [Q:] ~ [O:] ~ [o:]

ey = [e.I] ~ [E.I] ~ [a.I]
öy = [9.I] ([œ.I]) ~ [O.I]
ou = [o.U] ~ [O.U] ~ [e.U] ~ [a.U]
au = [a.U] ~ [Q.U]
ay = [a.I] ~ [Q.I]

eyr = [e.I3`] ~ [e.Ir] ~ [E.I] ~ [E.Ir] ~ [a.I] ~ [a.Ir] ~ [i:3`]
öyr = [9.I3`] ([œ.I3`]) ~ [9.Ir] ([œ.Ir]) ~ [y:3`]

Many dialects now do not differenciate between _oo_ and _ou_.  Their
speakers can either adopt the geneal spelling (i.e., be aware of the
differentiation in other dialects) or can simply write one or the other
without fear of being misunderstood.

> I understand ANS also has Y [i:] for German/Dutch based  IE.
> For Lower Saxon writers in the Netherland (like myself) this is a bit hard
> to accept.
> In Dutch, Y is just another way to write IJ [Ei] (like Afrikaans y = Dutch
> ij) and in LS this ij is normally [i:], written ie.
> Dutch tijd [tEit] = DLS tied [tit], Dutch blijven ["blEiv@] = DLS blieven
> [bli:bM] etc.
> Using spellings for DLS like  tyd, blyven  would be seen as [Ei] in stead
of
> [i(:)] and be far too Dutch for us, even after
> practice.

I understand.  That's just a case of psychological fixation on being
different from Dutch.

Likewise, in Germany, _y_ tends to be associated with [y] (i.e., with _ü_).

I am still open to suggestions and changes.  I had adopted <y> from old
manuscripts for two reasons:

(1) It represented [i:] both in Saxon and in Dutch, originally being <ÿ>
which developed from <ii> (later interpreted as <ij>).  Dutch retained it
(or its variant <ij>), as did Afrikaans, even though these languages have
meanwhile diphthongized the sound.

(2) By using this symbol you enhance mutual reading comprehension between
Lowlands Saxon and Lowlands Franconian (Dutch, Afrikaans, etc.).

Rejecting <y> for Saxon on the grounds of its (supposedly different) use in
Dutch and Afrikaans is clearly a psychological reaction stemming from a need
to be different, a need to "fight" Dutch (or German).  To me this is a sign
of immaturity with regard to language assertion and confidence.  ("The
dominant language uses X, so we can't use X but must use Z to draw the line
between them and us.")  The same letter or letter combination is pronounced
differently in different languages.  You accept this unquestioningly if the
languages involved are "established" and "official," such as when learning
that English <oo> is pronounced [u:] or [U] rather than as [o:] or [oU] as
in Dutch, and you accept that German <eu> is pronounced [OI] and not [ø:] as
in Dutch and French.  So why can't you accept that <y> is pronounced [i:] in
Saxon, [aI] in Dutch, [@i] ([ǝı]) in Afrikaans, [y] in German and
Scandinavian, [i] in French and Spanish, and [i] or [aI] in English?

Minority language speakers try hard to assert themselves and their
languages.  I see many of them doing so by "going overboard," by trying too
hard to make their languages be or appear different from the respective
dominant languages.  This to me indicates that these speakers have not
liberated themselves, their minds and their decisions from the domination.
They allow the dominant language(s) to dictate their decisions (even if this
means doing the opposite).  It is like a son trying hard to liberate himself
from the influence of his father by acting exactly the opposite from the way
his father acts: he deliberately continues the influence he purports to
escape.  Lowlands Saxon will only be a truly liberated, independent language
when its speakers and writers stop looking to Dutch and German or run away
from them.  This is what I meant by referring to "immaturity" in language or
orthography planning.

Kumpelmenten,