LL-L "Mythology" 2004.10.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 17 18:26:07 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Botanica" 2004.10.11 (06) [A/E]

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.11 (03) [E]

> Gabriele wrote:
> "Yggdrasil is not an oak tree, it's an ash."
>
> But across the Indo-European languages, the species
> of tree referred to by
> any term shared across the family often differs from
> language to language
> (remember the famous Beech Line).
>
> I may be completely wrong, but I can see cognates
> for _oak_ and _tree_
> within _yggdrassil_ (that is, _ygg_ and _dra-_
> respectively), even though it
> is an ash. (Of course, _ygg_ could just as well
> represent an archaic form of
> _ash_, too.)
>
> I should also point out a personal affinity with
> oaks here, as Derry where I
> live derives from Ir. _daire_ or _doire_ (the latter
> is the modern name in
> Irish), 'oak grove', referring to the sacred grove
> that sat where St
> Columb's Cathedral sits now. When the English
> arrived they referred to the
> (then wooded) hill as _the Derrie_. Today there are
> many businesses with the
> word _oak_ in their names, and a local school is
> _Oakgrove_. The emblem of
> the Derry Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) is an
> oak leaf and the county
> team is referred to as "the Oak Leaf County". There
> is certainly still a lot
> of fondness for oaks among us Derry wans.
>
> Go raibh maith agat,
>
> Criostóir.
---------------------------------

Hi,
a small remark about the oak:
people had to wait for the iron age before they could
cut or 'handle' an oak tree.
vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.11 (03) [E]

> From: Global Moose Translations
> <globalmoose at t-online.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.11 (01) [E]
>
> Ron wrote:
> > In Germanic mythology also, Uilleam.  An oak-tree
> holds up Yggdrasil, the
> > "heaven," and oak-leafs are among the most common
> heraldic symbols.
>
> Beg to differ, Ron... Yggdrasil is not an oak tree,
> it's an ash. In German,
> it's called the "Weltenesche", [...]

OK, Gabriele, [as always I admire your unlimited
knowledge], but do you think that falling back on a
German translation is a good point?
See eg. the german translation "goetterdaemerung" of
something that better should have been translated with

"the ups and downs of the higher powers" or something
like.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan