LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 20 21:59:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.17 (07) [E/LS/S]

There's a great version of "The Portree Kid" sung by the Corries, by the
way.

They always liked to add a little "country music" to their repertoire, as in
the two following very short "western songs":

"Yippie yi yi, yippie yi yay,
I love to see those udders sway.
I'd like to be a cowpoke
Just pokin' cows all day!"

And the second one, even shorter and yet more poignant:

"I've been lomesome in the saddle since my horse died..."

Now, here's a poem I once wrote for a teenage friend on a bulletin board in
Oregon who claimed that I "just did all that humorous rhymin' stuff" because
I simply didn't know how to write more lyrical, verse libre poetry. So I
wrote this poem just for him, to show that I could - and I got away with it!
Everybody loved it, they were so overwhelmed with it's sheer beauty that
nobody had a closer look at the content... I tried it several times later on
good friends, and they all really liked it, but almost nobody (with the
exception of my daughters who know me best!) understood what it was really
all about...

So, let's see what you make of this:

DESCENT
(by Gabriele Kahn)

Soft and nurturing, the earth is around me,
Moist, brown and squishy,
Mud.

The earth has welcomed me.
First came the wind,