LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.23 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 23 22:36:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.22 (04) [E]

["WIl at x] = willow, when we look at the pronunciation only the
positions of [x] and [l] have to be changed.
But, wichelen and wichelarij are predominantly used in _sterrenwichelen_
["stEr@~WIx at l@] and _sterrenwichelarij_ ["stEr@~WIx at la:'rEi] somewhat
mockingly for Astrology. And the relation between the stars (sterren) and
the willows (wilgen) seems a bit far-fetched to me.
But maybe there's a perfectly well explanation... (Ingmar)

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

>>However, I am tempted to consider this as a possibility, given that
dowsers tend to prefer rods cut
from willows, the "water-seeking" trees.<<

I like the logic but unfortunately dowsing rods are usually cut from the
hazel.

When I lived in North Wales I met the resident County Council dowser sent
out to locate the drains under the concrete of a yard, which was to be
built on. HIs rods were certainly all hazel. He also lcoated the drains
very quickly and easily.

I have a friend here who uses an old bent coat hanger ... with great
success!

Heather