LL-L "Folklore" 2004.10.26 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 26 23:39:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2004.10.13 (13) [E]

Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au> wrote:

> henry.pijffers at saxnot.com asked
>
>>I read a book (or 2) by Greg Bear about the Sidhe. In his book, he
>>described the pronunciation as something like "shdee" (I read the Dutch
>>version, where he wrote "sjdie", if I remember correctly). Is that the
>>correct pronunciation?
>
> I must stress that I am not a Gaelic speaker myself but DALRIADA, an
> organsisation dedicated to Highland Culture stated it was pronounced
'SHE'.
> Mind you there probably are minor local variants just as in Scots.
> I've not come across Greg Bear and can't help wondering if he is just
> another expatriate creating myths about a culture they do not fully
> understand.

Don't worry, Greg Bear's work in question is fully fictional. The only
thing he did use was the name Sidhe, nothing else. In his book the Sidhe
are some sort of elven people, being taller and thinner than people,
with a greyish complexion. Or something like that. Nothing related to
banshees or anything.

regards,
Henry