LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.26 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 26 23:43:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Frank Verhoft <frank.verhoft at skynet.be>
Subject: Etymology

Hi

<<<In Dutch there is a word I have not seen in LS or Deutsch. MOOI does it
come from the Spanish MUY?<<<

I saw a similar question in another list, connecting "mooi" (beautiful) and
"muy" (very) via the double usage of ""pretty" (beautiful, and 'very', as in
'pretty smart'). IMHO, it was a nice play with words, but nothing more... I
don't see any connection between Dutch 'mooi' and Spanish 'muy', i must say,
apart from a very superficial, formal similarity.
It would be difficult to connect "mooi" (or even its earlier attestation
"moy") with Spanish "muy", since it was attested a few hundred years before
the Spanish governors in the Low Countires.

<<<Can anyone help with this and other Spanish words in Dutch?<<<

Most Spanish words that entered Dutch did so in the (late) 16th and 17th
century. But the language of the higher echelons remained French!
A sample from Van der Sijs's "Leenwoordenboek. De invloed van andere talen
op het Nederlands" (Boek of loanwords, the influence of other languages on
Dutch)

- Terms related to ships, sailing and hence trade: cargadoor, cargo, casco,
embargo, entereren, torpedo, orkaan, passaat, tornado, dubloen, ansjovis,
palaver(en), eldorado, conquistadores, patat (dial., aardappel).
- 80 years war: "real" Antwerpians (with the'right', erm, pedigree) are
called 'sinjoren' (from Sp. señor), amigo (dial. for prison, which seems to
be a Spanish translation of Brabantian vruunt, pronounced vrient, and then
borrowed in Dutch), masjoefel (<machochel? < Sp. muchacha?), schampavie (<
Sp. escampar?),
- Literature, science, games, politics:
commando, don, escapade, hidalgo, caballero, criticaster, canasta, omber,
guerillia, junta, -issimo.
- Age of discoveries/Continental plunderings (Spanish words, or words
entering Dutch via Spanish):
pampa, apaches, kannibaal, mesties, mulat, neger (hence negeren), cañon,
kano, ananas, avocado, cacao, cassave, chili, chocolade, coca, kina, kurk,
maïs, ...
- Some words entered Dutch via English, while English took them from
Spanish, (and Spanish in its turn often from other languages): alligator,
sherry (< Sp. Jerez), ...
Others became popular via American Westerns: desperado, lasso, rodeo,
mustang, mustie, ranch, rancher, stampede, later macho, incomunicado,
cafetaria.

Groetjes,

Frank