LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.10.27 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 27 18:58:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.OCT.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Here are further suggestions for the anniversary project:

(1) Start with a world map and color the areas in which samples are to be
found, or place dots in the general areas, and make these clickable, leading
to close-up maps.

(2) These links lead to close-up regional maps with hyperlink dots in places
where language samples can be found.  If there are tight clusters of samples
in a given smaller area, put further hyperlink dots that lead to more
detailed maps.

(3) Eventually, the visitor arrives at hyperlink dots that link to pages,
each identifying the language variety and place and containing the
translator's and speaker's names (and places) as well as a written version
of the translation, along with a link to a sound file.  The sound file
should load while the text page is still open, so people can read and listen
at the same time.  In some cases two or more dots in different places might
lead to the same text and sound versions, such as Mennonite Lowlands Saxon
(Low German, Plautdietsch) versions being linked from Ukraine, Siberia,
Kazakhstan, Germany, Canada, USA, Mexico, etc.

(4) The dots could be color-coded by language or by dialect group.

(5) There can't be too many samples.  We are not only looking for "special"
or "exotic" language varieties but also for an assortment of samples such as
numerous Dutch and English versions.  Theoretically, we could even have a
number of written and spoken samples of London dialects, or of any place,
for that matter.  The English version I have posted now is just generic and
a bit American.  English speakers should adapt the text to the most natural
way they speak (and spell), so we would offer different text versions for
different dialects of the same language.  And, please, not only English of
England but of other English-speaking places as well (Scotland, Wales,
Ireland, Man, Channel Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Southern Africa,
North America, Gibraltar, etc.).

(6) If possible, we should include Dutch and English versions from
communities in which these are not the speakers' first languages but are
used in their countries and communities on a regular, daily basis, with
area-specific varieties.  Examples are Dutch varieties of the West Indies
and South America (and Indonesia?), English varieties of Southern and
Southeastern Asia, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Papua-New Guinea, Oceania,
Argentina, the West Indies, former British colonies in Africa, American
"protectorates," etc.  If possible, we should have several Afrikaans
versions from South Africa, Namibia (Windhoek, etc.), Malawi, Zambia,
Botswana (Ghanzi), etc.

(7) We should also aim at including sign language versions, ideally with
video clips (perhaps one clip per paragraph), alternatively with series of
still photos (with arrows for movements and directions).  It would be great
to get these at least for British Sign Language, American Sign Language and
the Dutch Sign Language.

(8) Does anyone feel game to translate (and read) the text into old
languages, such as Old English, Old Frisian, Old Low Franconian and Old
Saxon?  How about middle-stage ones?  How about Early Modern English, such
as Shakespearean mode (and pronunciation)?

(9) If we go with the "Wren" stories, you find the texts here:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/ls-story.html
The anniversary edition would be newly formatted and would be housed on the
Lowlands-L server.

P.S.: Is anyone the project coordinator yet?  Do I see raised hands?