LL-L "Genetics" 2004.10.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 28 17:09:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Genetics

Glenn Simpson:

> This might interest one or two - Newcastle University are conducting a
> genetics survey in Northumberland (the town of Morpeth to be precise).
> Early
> findings show that men from the area are genetically closely linked to
> those
> residing in present day North West Germany and Northern Netherlands. I am
> trying to find out more detailed locations, if possible. This contrasts
> with
> neighbouring counties of Cumbria and Yorkshire where later Scandanavian
> settlement was
> extensive.  The genetics suggest that settlement in this region was far
> greater than previously thought & that the English migration from the
> continent was very much on a mass scale and not one of a 'conquering
> elite'
> as occurred during the Norman period.

> Interesting because it 'may' answer some outstanding questions such as
> north
> eastern England above the River Wear did not see much Scandanavian
> settlement (certainly in later periods), a factor that could explain why
> the
> dialect spoken in this region is different from further south. It also
> 'may'
> also confirm that the dialect spoken in Northumberland can trace it's
> roots
> back a long way & that there are strong links still with some continental
> languages. Still all conjecture though I admit!
>
> Thought you might find it interesting.

I find it very interesting, Glenn.  Thank you very much indeed!

If you could find the details about the locations in Northwestern Germany
and
the Northern Netherlands I would be most grateful to you for sharing that
information.

What is interesting about this is that this is an area in which Frisian was
used originally and then gradually came to be replaced by Saxon, resulting
in Lowlands Saxon dialects on Frisian substrates.  It would be interesting
to know, also, if there is any indication as to when migration took place,
before Saxon encroachment on Frisian or after it had begun.

Some recent studies seem to show that genetic and linguistic relations often
match but not always.  However, if we knew more about this case we might be
able to compare the Morpeth variety with that of the places on the
continent.

Thanks again, Glenn.  All the best to you and your association!