LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.29 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 29 17:59:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: ellen simon <elleninbritain at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.28 (04) [E]

Thank you for thinking about my question. However, I'm
looking for regressive voice assimilation (RVA) in
fricative + sonorant consonant clusters. The two
examples you give are instances of RVA in fricative +
voiced stop clusters. This type of assimilation is
rather common. I don't think RVA in French is
'possible' in e.g. laisse moi (= fricative + sonorant
consonant clusters /s m/).
Regards,
Ellen

----------

>> In West-Flemish there is a process of regressive voice assimilation in
>> fricative + sonorant consonant (=nasals, liquids and glides) clusters
>across
>> word-boundaries. An example:  "'t is waar" (it's true) is realized
as "'t
>> i[z] waar". This type of regressive voice assimilation seems to be
>> relatively rare. In order to understand this process better, I'm looking
>for
>> other language varieties in which this type of voice assimilation
occurs.

>I know this from French:
>
>"une tasse de café" [yntazd at kafe] or "la Place de la Concorde"
>[laplazd at lako~kORd], where single "tasse" or "place" would be pronounced
>with voiceless [s].
>
>-Helge Willkowei

Hi

I'm very busy since a few months so I cannot participate to discussions as
much as I would want.
But here I have to speak as a french native :
I'm sorry but I have never heard such a pronunciation of "tasse de caf"
or "place de la concorde". I think that pronunciation of a voiceless "s"
in these word would be heard by a french native as a german accent.

By contrast, I confirm the existence of the phenomenon in french flemish.

Best regards
Frederic Baert