LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.06 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 6 16:54:51 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.SEP.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.05 (08) [E]

Hi, Lowlanders,

Bill wrote:
"It seems a shame to think that small languages are somehow obsolete,
irrelevant or politically impotent. They may never muster the political
muscle that the big languages have temporarily, but they are important just
as artifacts from ancient cultures that we find in fine museums.  Modern
languages will, and must, change to meet the communication needs of each
generation ..."

And Roger wrote:
"We see an increased interest and sympathy for regional languages in Western
Europe.
In a Paris private school one started with first (unsubsidized) year with
Diwan methodology (with immersion in Breton) for 15 pupils (see article
below).
Sorry for me being a bit sceptical about the promotion of regional
languages:
Isn't it all 50 - 100 years too late?" ! (Exclamation mark added by me. MW)

I agree that languages have to evolve, but they do not necessarily have to
crush other languages.
A lifetime of observing the world linguistic scene, in particular in Europe,
in the LL, and the places I have been a resident in (among others LS, ZH,
OC, OH), and studying history with respect to this subject, have led me to
ONE inevitable conclusion:
That languages are doomed, will get crushed, become book languages at best,
such as Latin, leave but a scant record such as Gothic, or simply die
without leaving traces like so many indigenous languages all over the world
every day, UNLESS:
They enjoy inside their territory a status in all domains of public life,
centered around education, media and administration. I even dare go one step
further and claim that this status must be the PRIMARY one. In fact complete
cultural independence would appear necessary. Any other status, "minority"
as recognised by whatever (the Europea Charta is a tell-tale example), even
"primary" status, especially if in a region inside a "majority" state
(example Swedish in Finland, Gaelic in Eire), will eventually but inevitably
lead to extinction. Not that independence, even state language status in a
politically completely independent sovereign state is any guarantee for
survival. See Andorra. But it is a good starting base.
Example I can observe every day: CATALAN. Inside the region Catalunya of the
Spanish state it enjoys official status in all domains cited above yet it
is, abeit slowly, receding in the face of Castilian (the official language
of the Spanish state).
Figure out for yourself WHERE the thrust must be if you want to give a
language a REALISTIC chance.
This is my message to everyone being concerned (as I am) with language
survival.
Mike Wintzer