LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 8 15:28:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.SEP.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Camillo Bastrup <camillo_bastrup at operamail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.07 (08) [E]

'Resource'

http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/posh-translator.asp

----------

From: Aurÿffffe9lio Vieira <zion2199br at yahoo.com.br>
Subject: frisian

Dear ones,

I am writing a paper on the origen of English, and was wondering what
incluence Frisian had on its formation. And do you happen to know any source
of material in that language in the internet (written/audio)?
Thank you very much.
Dank u wel.
Merci.
Dank.
Aurélio Vieira
Brazil

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language varieties

Bem vindo, Aurélio!  Good to hear from you.

Oh, and hello to everyone who has been joining us this week.  I'll get back
to you later, in my next "Administrativia" message.

It's great to see that someone joined us from Poland, with an interest in
Kashubian-Lowlands Saxon contacts.  Yeah!  At last!   Hello to Kashubia,
Eastern Pomerania!  Witôj!

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

----------

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>

Two thoughts on US English, by which I mean what I hear on TV and in films.

1. The "might" forms of the verb "may" have almost disappeared. It's easy to
understand how "He said he may come tomorrow" arises though in true reported
speech the form should be "might". The same occurs with "can" and "will".
But one hears sentences where it is hard to sustain a logical argument for
this choice. I heard "The police had drawn their guns because they thought
there may be armed criminals inside." So to all intents and purposes "might"
is wrong.

2. The reduction of "-ded" and "-ted" in the preterite to "-d" and "-t(e)"
seems to be growing. In the UK we are fairly familiar with US "fit" and
"knit" but as it becomes generalised the tense marker is lost and one has to
pause to work out what the speaker meant. Is there a general tendency in US
English not to duplicate consonants? The forms "mir" and "err" for "mirror"
and "error" spring to mind but are there more examples? "Sqrl" for
"squirrel" suggests the alternative explanation that the tendency is to lose
vowels.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk