LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.08 (03) [E/French]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 8 15:28:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language politics

Ron wrote:
> les dialectes allemands d'Alsace,
les dialectes flamands des Flandres Françaises, les dialectes celtiques de
la Bretagne et les dialectes catalans et basques   la fronti re espagnole
sont "les dialectes de la langue française." Est-ce que ce n'est pas vrai ?<

Seems unlikely, given the French addiction to purity of language and
logicality of thought. I didn't find the phrase in a web search and nothing
like it was mentioned on a few recent sites dealing with the position of
minority languages in France.

BTW I found out that I falsely attributed to a Lowlands posting the idea
that Henry V (of England) used the argument that the French had designs on
the English language to rally his troops before Agincourt/Azincourt. Still,
has anybody heard of this?

Since French has turned up, could I ask whether David Suchet's pronunciation
"précisemment" ("emme" comme "femme") which he uses constantly in playing
Hercule Poirot is an accurate Belgian pronunciation or just ignorance?

John Feather  johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.07 (05) [French]

Hi, Lowlanders,
Ron you wrote about the French refusal to sign the Charta:

"...a été "résolue" : les langues minoritaires
et régionales de la France sont maintenant considérés comme "les dialectes
français."   ..."

What is indeed new is that this mentality now is used as a pretext to refuse
the Charta. Moronic!!!!!
But  disgusting as it is, to me it comes as no surprise: The French state
policy has always been to call anything non-French "patois", even indigenous
languages of their (former) colonies. (My former neighbor in Toulouse, now
80, is still convinced, in spite all my lobbying, that her Occitan
mothertongue is "patois" and as such "une déformation du français").
Mike Wintzer