LL-L "Phonology" 2004.09.10 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 10 16:05:43 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: jpkrause <jpkrause at weblink2000.net>
Subject: Language Varieties

John Feather wrote

> Two thoughts on US English, by which I mean what I hear on TV and in
films.

> 1. The "might" forms of the verb "may" have almost disappeared. It's easy
> understand how "He said he may come tomorrow" arises though in true
reported
> speech the form should be "might". The same occurs with "can" and "will".
> But one hears sentences where it is hard to sustain a logical argument for
> this choice. I heard "The police had drawn their guns because they thought
> there may be armed criminals inside." So to all intents and purposes
"might"
> is wrong.

Might not the word "could" be substituted in the above quote?

 The forms "mir" and "err" for "mirror"
> and "error" spring to mind but are there more examples? "Sqrl" for
> "squirrel" suggests the alternative explanation that the tendency is to
lose
> vowels.

Many accents are used in American film and television broadcasts--some
rather ludicrously satirized, or poorly imitated.  I grew up in the extreme
northwest of the USA and I seem to remember that the local preference was to
insert a schwa for the last vowel thus:
err_r  (sorry, I can't get the schwa symbol)
mirr_r  etc.  Yes, I have heard folk say "mir" for mirror, or even "mirruh."

JIm Krause