LL-L "Phonology" 2004.09.10 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 10 19:31:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.09.10 (03) [A/E]

How about Dubbaya Bush's "terrr", "terrrist" and "terrrizm" that we have to
listen to every day?
 Ingmar

>  The forms "mir" and "err" for "mirror"
> > and "error" spring to mind but are there more examples? "Sqrl" for
> > "squirrel" suggests the alternative explanation that the tendency is to
> lose
> > vowels.
>
> Many accents are used in American film and television broadcasts--some
> rather ludicrously satirized, or poorly imitated.  I grew up in the
extreme
> northwest of the USA and I seem to remember that the local preference was
> insert a schwa for the last vowel thus:
> err_r  (sorry, I can't get the schwa symbol)
> mirr_r  etc.  Yes, I have heard folk say "mir" for mirror, or even
"mirruh."

> JIm Krause

I think it's likely that the Afrikaans forms with "aa" are derived from
Standard (written) Dutch,
whereas the ê-words come from spoken, sub-standard/dialectal (South-Holland)
Dutch.
So there isn't really a mutation from paarl, haard  > pêrl, herd but the ê/e
simply became the
official Afrikaans written form from the normal pronunciation, except in
fixed sayings or expressions.
 Ingmar

> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.08 (08) [E]
>
> Help my hier: I'm now thinking of the 'a' - 'e' mutations in Afrikaans.
> English borrowed the word 'aardvark', though most Afrikaners these days
say
> 'erdvark'. So also has the 'hart' as in 'Hartenbosch' (English 'hart' or
red
> deer) & 'hartebeest' (an antelope) mutated to 'hert' (the entrenched forms
> in these names, however, do not change). 'Paarl' to 'Pêrel' (peR at l),
'haard'
> as in 'huis en haard' (home & hearth) to 'herd'. It is the comparatively
> long 'a' (a:) that has mutated to a short 'e' (e). The short 'a' as in
> 'hart' (English 'heart') has not mutated.
> Ek kan nou nie aan skuiwing in die teenoorgestelde rigting in Afrikaans
dink
> nie.
> I can not now think of shifts in the opposite direction in Afrikaans.

> Also North German pronunciations of High German in words such as 'durch'
> /dURC/ where the changing of 'r' to /6/ would cause the following /C/ to
be
> pronounced /x/ but to maintain the /C/ pronunciation the 'r' is pronounced
> /I/ which allows for a /C/ pronunciation, so /dUIC/. (Not entirely what
> we're talking about here but interesting nevertheless).

Very interesting, this [dUIC] pronunciation .
In modern Standard Dutch, especially that of the Randstad (i.e. the densely
populated
Western provinces of Holland and Utrecht, with Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The
Hague etc)
more and more people tend to pronounce -r as something like [-j]:
door > [do:j], werk > [vEjk], kaars > [ka:js], moeder > ["mud at j] etc.
It's even really trendy to pronounce -r like that, on TV, radio, in movies
etc. one doesn't
hear anything else anymore, especially among youngsters...
Northern German [dUIC] reminds me of it very much
  Ingmar