LL-L "Morphology" 2004.09.11 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 11 20:17:58 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.09.10 (12) [E]

> The "r-prefix" in words as "rünner-", "ropp", "ruut" etc. in St Dutch
maybe
> does not so much equate "hier-" or "daar-" as it does "er-".
> => eronder, erin, eruit (=beneath it, inside it, outside it).
> In colloquial Dutch this "er-" is always pronounced as "d'r-", also
> d'ronder, d'rin, d'ruit.
> Examples of verbs with "heen-" (=towards) are seldom indeed: heenzenden
> (send away), heengaan (go/pass away), but they cause inversion -> ik zend
> heen (I send away), hij ging heen (he passed away), unlike verbs with
"her-"
> One also says: ik loop er heen (I walk towards it), ik loop erover heen (I
> walk across it), and ik zal er heen lopen (I shall walk towards it) etc.,
> but in that case heen is written apart from the verb.
>  Ingmar
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> Moyen, Ingmar!
>
> > The "r-prefix" in words as "rünner-", "ropp", "ruut" etc. in St Dutch
> > maybe does not so much equate "hier-" or "daar-" as it does "er-".
>
> It comes from _her-_ in these varieties; so _herünner_ > _rünner_ 'down'
and
> _heruut_ > _ruut_ 'out'.  Only some varieties do utilize _hinünner_ ~
> _henünner_ for the movement away, but apparently not *_hinuut_ ~ *_henuut_
> (cf. German _heraus_ vs _hinaus_).  Obviously, these prefixes originally
> indicated movement toward the speaker (_her_) and movement away from the
> speaker (_hin_ ~ _hen_).  The /h/ somehow must have fallen through the
> cracks farther west.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Yes, that is true for High and Low German, but in Standard Dutch and Dutch
Lower Saxon
we only use er-forms deriving from er and not from her (or heen). In Dutch
Lower Saxon
preposition "hen" meaning to(wards) can be used. Ik gao hen Grönning = I'll
go to Groningen;
ik gao hen viss'n = I'm going to fish; ik lope hen de dier'ntune = I'm
walking towards the Zoo.
In some (few) Dutch Lower Saxon dialects is (was) also possible to use
'heer' meaning from:
woar komste heer? = where are you from? Standard Dutch and most other
dialects have 'vandaan(e)'
or 'weg' or 'vört' (woar kom ie weg, woar kom ie vört, woar kom ie
vandane?).
In Standard Dutch the word 'herkomst' = origin, still has this from-meaning,
but in the rest of the cases
her- means re-,  expressing repetition.
  Ingmar