LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.11 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 12 03:21:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jo Thys <Jo.Thijs1 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Introduction" 2004.09.11 (01) [E]

> > From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> > Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.09 (04) [E]
> >
>>What is the purpose of the _-je_ suffix commonly found after verbs
> > and nouns, e.g., _een boekje_ ("a book")? Is it just a diminutive? If
so,
> > it  seems to be used with the similar frequency to the forms _-o_ and
_-ie_ in
> > Australian English, e.g., _reggo_ ("registration"), _bikie_ ("biker").
> >
> > Go raibh maith agaibh
> >
> > Criostóir.
>
> I'm probably forgetting a lot of other uses here, but many such -je forms
> will not always be plain old diminutives, but can have a varied meaning...
>
> Regards
>
> Henno Brandsma

Hei Criostóir, hei Henno, hei allemwol

I also came across the term "hypocoristica", meaning something like "calling
flattering names". To me it seems that -je is very often used that way.
They're often used to make things seem nicer, more fun, less aversive,
rather then smaller e.g.

"een jaartje overdoen" (to sit over 'it wil be over soon')
"een klein jaar " (not the whole year)

In the same way they 're used in the vocative: papaatje, mamaatje, often
followed by a request. (dad-daddie?) (mate: /meit/,/meiti:/)
(Heart it in scotland last 'summer' dad! dad! daddie!!, like dutch kids
would call for pap!, pap!, pappie!!)

Women seem to use this construction (or the diminutive one) a lot more, and
especially teenagers. 'Hebt gij een sigaretje voor mij?". On Flemisch tv
there was a (satirical) program, het Leugenpaleis, where every time again
words as 'hamertje, beitelje, zaagske"  (hammer, chisel, saw) were used to
portray gay  shop assistants.

Maybe your 'bikie' is rather a 'softie' (also in dutch)  than a small one.

Die lachjes,
 Die klaghjes,
 By draghjes,
 Die daghjes,