LL-L "Language use" 2004.09.12 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 13 03:59:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2004.09.12 (06) [E]

> From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.09 (01) [E]

> ... A newspaper comentator
> argued that it would have been far better to have each of the groups speak
> its OWN language, for which the others would have to do some trouble, but
> which still could be easier to deal with as it would be easier for people
> speak their thoughts. (I can only shiver at the thought of the horrendous
> English that would be the result! As somebody else (sorry!) commented, the
> English linguafranca is something completely different from "proper"
> English.)

I guess we have to do with that.

The natural languages in the company I have to do with (Brussels airport
ground handling) are Spanish (management), Dutch and French. (For the staff;
rather Arabic and Berber for many handling operators). The quality of
English, the formal communication language in meetings, as pronounced by
some, asks for intensive listening efforts, but it still is better than
working with interpreters.

I must say one has also to adjust one's ears when communicating with the
airport tower. Some controllers have a very "heavy" R, so things do not
sound very English at a first impression. But one gets used to it. BTW the
sentences are standardized, and that is obviously helpfull for standard
routines, as e.g. crossing runways.

Regards,
Roger

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

Dear Grietje, why would it be horrendous that the English linguafranca
differs from proper English? I find it rather interesting. Of course a lot
of individual Dutch, Germans, French etc are a bit inconfident about their
English (Globbelish), but looking at it with a linguistic eye, I think
that's the way  languages always have been born throughout history. And
otherwise they're always free to use Middelsprake of course!
 Ingmar