LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.13 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 13 16:46:02 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Baskind <jbaskind at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.12 (01) [E]

On Sep 12, 2004, at 7:57 AM, John F. wrote:

> It is
> therefore possible to make unequivocally true statements in this
> field. I
> believe that the national governments of the Republic of India, the
> People's
> Republic of China and the USA, besides many others, do not seek a
> monolingual state.

Equally true, though, that there is a significant cultural bias which
persuades many countries' citizens to use one language in preference to
others, and that this persuasion is unfortunately as effective as a
legal edict over time.

In the USA, while there is a growing movement to have Spanish declared
and used as a co-equal with English, it is ignored in the largely
English-speaking corridors of power. In States with a significant
Spanish-speaking population, the idea is often regarded as dangerous
radicalism by threatened Anglos.The ability to speak English is a
requirement for citizenship. While the use of one's own ethnic language
in America is not discouraged, it isn't very much encouraged,
officially at least, other than in ethnically described commercial
areas (Chinatown, Japantown, etc).

This is de facto, and therefore historically, official government
policy. isn't it? And the reaon that thisa list was necessary, I
believe.

South Africa today has eleven "official" languages, but the previous
official language, Afrikaans, has been relegated (temporarily, I hope)
to the 'scrapheap of history", in favour of English, which is now used
almost exclusively for official purposes, despite the fact that
arguably more than half the South African population know Afrikaans a
lot better than English.

(On the other hand, Afrikaans is stretching its wings in South Africa,
freed (only my opinion), from the stultifying restrictions of having to
function as the official language, with august committees deciding on
EU-like standardizations, but that's another discussion. (Dis nie
bedoel as "flamebait" nie, hoor, maar as enigiemand hierin belangstel,
sou ek graag bietjie verder gesels).

This site might be interesting, in this regard. http://www.litnet.co.za.