LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.13 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 13 21:14:42 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.13 (01) [A/E]

Beste John Baskind,

Subject: LL-L "Language politics"

Ja, John. What they called 'die skandebord' over here during Milner's
hegemony, had it's eweknie in Wales, the infamous 'Cribbwd',  throughout the
History of English hegemony until very recently. It is even mentioned in the
novel, 'How Green was My Valley'. Let no man say Language is not an
instrument of political opression, least of all in English!

> South Africa today has eleven "official" languages, but the previous
> official language, Afrikaans, has been relegated (temporarily, I hope)
> to the 'scrapheap of history",

Nee, wat! Die wat die Taal praat deel nie in daardie siening nie, en hoekom
sal hulle? Hy wat sy moedertaal versmyt sny sy net eie wortel weg: Totsiens!
Mind you (so gepraat oor Angelisismes), in alle billikheid het Afrikaans sy
amptelikke rol met Engels eweredig gedeel, tot 'n punt van uiterlikke
moedelose vervelentheid. Dankie God dis oor, en dankie tog die verstikking
van 'Amptelikke Afrikaans'.

> in favour of English, which is now used
> almost exclusively for official purposes,

Parlous diction, grammar, idiom, all. Now in the early years of the State of
Israel, there was a man appointed to correct the Hebrew of the
parlimentarians, before they presumed to speak. It would be a wise policy to
the current regime to do the same.....

> despite the fact that
> arguably more than half the South African population know Afrikaans a
> lot better than English.

> (On the other hand, Afrikaans is stretching its wings in South Africa,
> freed (only my opinion), from the stultifying restrictions of having to
> function as the official language, with august committees deciding on
> EU-like standardizations, but that's another discussion. (Dis nie
> bedoel as "flamebait" nie, hoor, maar as enigiemand hierin belangstel,
> sou ek graag bietjie verder gesels).

Praat gerus!

> This site might be interesting, in this regard. http://www.litnet.co.za.
Groete,