LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.14 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 15 02:08:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.SEP.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language varieties

John Baskind wrote:

>While the use of one's own ethnic language in America is not discouraged,
it isn't very much encouraged,
officially at least, other than in ethnically described commercial areas
(Chinatown, Japantown, etc).

This is de facto, and therefore historically, official government policy,
isn't it? And the reaon that thisa list was necessary, I believe.<

There is a famous statement of UK energy policy: the policy is not to have a
policy. It seems to me that the most one can say is that the US government's
language policy is not to have one. Politicians (and people in general)
don't commit themselves on contentious issues unless they can see something
in it for themselves.

The maintenance of minority languages is a complex social issue and I think
focussing too much on government attitudes isn't helpful. There is certainly
an enormous Spanish-speaking minority in the US with its own newspapers and
broadcast media through which the language is propagated. You don't have to
encourage the use of Spanish in "ethnically described commercial areas"! In
some states there is a policy of mother-tongue teaching (de jure) in all
languages for which it is practicable (de facto). Education is still
primarily the responsibility of the states rather than the Federal
government.

The Lowlands List is entertaining, provocative, infuriating, stimulating,
hospitable, multilingual, and lots of other things. Desirable it may be:
necessary it isn't.

Regarding government support for minority languages I offer the following
from "Can a Shrinking Linguistic Minority be Saved?" by Desmond Fennell in
_Minority Languages Today_, conference proceedings from 1980:

"[A]nother way of explaining why the state failed to save the Gaeltacht is
by saying that the government failed to perceive [that its contraction could
only be prevented by the people of that territory themselves]. It made no
serious attempts to persuade the people of the Gaeltacht to decide to end
this erosion. .... Instead ... it tried through its various agencies to do
the job on their behalf, and without any commitment or activity on their
part to end the linguistic erosion. A clear absurdity, when one looks at it;
but such is the modern belief in the God-like omnipotence of the state that
its faithful often believe it can do impossible things - work miracles."

Even greater omnipotence (OK, I know ...) is attributed to the Irish state
in  "Frisian-Dutch bilingual primary schools" by Kr Boelens, 1976: "Ireland
is trying very hard with the support of officialdom to reinstate Irish,
which is only vernacular speech in a few small areas in the west, in
the Gaeltacht, as the language of the entire nation."

On a different point, Mark wrote:

"Well, in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Fries were recruited to man King
Alfred's Navy, since they were, unlike the English of that time, seamen.
They were warriors of note & they spoke a dialect mutually intelligable to
the English. Their only problem was unfamiliarity with keels..."

Where is this from? Is "they spoke a dialect mutually intelligable to the
English" a contemporary observation? I can only find a reference in 897 to
the fact that Alfred designed ships unlike Frisian and Danish ones.

Usual disclaimers.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

"Misinformation and disinformation are the pollutants of post-industrial
society."