LL-L "Games" 2004.09.14 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 16 03:41:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: Games with Tin Cans

Och this List bring back ancient memories to me.
I can recall two other dangerous pastimes involving tin cans.
First was the making of Fire Cans. One took a standard size tin and used a
stone to hammer a nail through it numerous times filling sides and base with
holes. Two larger opposing holes were then made in the apex of the open top,
a stout wire was passed through those to make a handle for swinging 20-30
inches long..
Starter combustibles went into the can which was swung censorlike to start a
blaze into which larger bits of wood were added. That was a fire can, it was
swung to really get the fire going then sent round in vertical circles
making a ring of fire, spectacular on a dark night. Finally as the impetus
built to a peak it was released to fly into the air, Even better were huge
fire cans made from old paint tins. Larger holes were needed but they were
diabolical,
The second required no preparation of the can. A firecracker was set up
erect in the middle of the street, fuse lit, and as it started fizzing the
daring lad would cover it with his can and run away fast. Cans would shoot
high into the air. Just after WW2 an Edinburgh firm making pyrotechnics for
the Forces covered surplus thunderflashes with fancy paper and sold them as
fireworks at 6d each. One of them placed under a paint can tended to blast
it apart, if placed in a metal garbage bin would send its lid as high as
adjacent 3 storey tenements.
Thinking back on this now I wonder how so many of us survived.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."