LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.16 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 17 03:29:24 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.SEP.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.09.15 (03) [E]

Dear Jan Baskind & All;

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.09.13 (12) [E]

>   BTW, There is only ONE continent, isn't there?

But which ONE?

> Excuse me, Fortress Europe, but in America the same hegemonic monotony is
> known as "Mid-Atlantic English", although I'm rather pleased that it is
> losing ground steadily to the "received pronunciation" -based new European
> variety in the EU. The end of Yankee imperialism, maybe?

> …and here's my vote for Middelsprake as a replacement!

Seconded!

Cheers
Mark

----------

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.16 (03) [E]

Dear John Feather,

Subject: Language varieties

> I have searched two online versions of the AS Chronicle and all I can
> find are statements that
> a) there were Frisian pirates at some point
> b) later on dead Frisians are listed with the English dead
> c) Alfred designed ships that were bigger than anyone else's
> d) a dead Frisian called "Ebb" is mentioned.

Welll? I was assuring someone, I forget whom, that there were people known
as Fries around at that time. I will allow I got distracted by ships & the
sailing of them, a subject I also love.

> What am I doing wrong that I can't find what Mark assures us is there?

Your gift, John Feather, is (I take it), that you know the Internet & use it
with skill & finesse. But I am a Babe in the Googlewood. L-Lowlands is my
first real venture into that Unknown. Howevewr, I have been collecting books
for a long time.

It seems to me that the Internet is an inordinately powerful first stage of
a researcher's work: Collection of data. Collation, however, is still done
the old-fashioned way... Books & Journals are still lengths ahead, & please
guys, make those boffins publish!!

> I will keep my views on communication problems in shipbuilding and ship
> operation to myself until I find out if they are relevant.

Good stuff, there, on the internet, but still, if I ever find 'Royce on
Sailing' in Hard, I'm buying it!

Yrs,
Mark