LL-L "Folklore" 2004.09.18 (11) [E/LS/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 19 21:20:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2004.09.18 (07) [A/D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L wrote:

>Traditionally sung in some parts of Britain is the song of John Barleycorn
>(also known for his would-be power), the spirit of the field after whom a
>sort of strong grain-based seasonal liquor was named:
>
>   There were three men came out of the West,
>   Their fortunes for to try,
>   And these three men made a solemn vow,
>   John Barleycorn must die...
>
>   They let him stand till midsummer’s day,
>   Till he looked both pale and wan,
>   And little Sir John’s grown a long, long beard
>   And so become a man...
>
>   They’ve hired men with scythes so sharp,
>   To cut him off at the knee,
>   They’ve rolled him and tied him by the waist
>   Serving him most barbarously...
>
>   And little Sir John in the nut-brown bowl,
>   And he’s brandy in the glass,
>   And little Sir John in the nut-brown bowl
>   Proved the strongest man at last.
>
>Regards,
>Reinhard/Ron

Hello Ron,

Robert Burns of Lallands dialect fame also wrote a John Barleycorn
ballad which begins:

There was three kings into the east,
    Three kings both great and high,
And they hae sworn a solemn oath
    John Barleycorn should die.
They took a plough and plough'd him down,
    Put clods upon his head,
And they hae sworn a solemn oath
    John Barleycorn was dead.

... the end of the story is at http://www.robertburns.org/works/27.shtml

Regards,

Tom [Maguire]

--
Carpe Diem.
-Visit Nlp in Education  http://www.xtec.es/~jmaguire
-Join Nlp-Education  mailto:nlp-education-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Thanks, Tom.

Burns also mentions John Barleycorn as a metaphor for liquor in his famous
_Tam O' Shanter_, referring to Tam's "courage" when in his inebriated state
he discovers a scene of wild witchly revelry:

   …
   Inspiring, bold John Barleycorn!
   What dangers thou canst make us scorn!
   Wi’ tippenny, we fear nae evil;
   Wi’ usquabae, we’ll face the Devil!
   …

nae = no
tippenny = tuppence, 2 pence/pennies
usquabae = whiskey

The equivalent part in my (forthcoming) Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
translation:
   …
   Jan Gastenkoorn, mit dien Suupbüttmacht,
   Maakst du, dat wi Dood un Düvel minnachtt.
   Mit twee Penns sünn wi bang vör nix;
   Mit Snaps bemöött wi Musche Blix!
   …

Transliterated in the ANS system:
   …
   Jan Gastenkourn, mit dyn suupbüt-macht
   Maakst du, dat wy dood un düyvel minnachtt.
   Mit twey pens sünd wy bang vör niks;
   Mit snaps bemöytt wy Musche Bliks!
   …

Musche Blix (Musche Bliks) = "Monsieur Flash/Lightening" = Satan