LL-L "Folklore" 2004.09.18 (13) [E/LS/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 19 23:31:30 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2004 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Folklore" [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Folklore
>
> Thanks, Tom.
>
> Burns also mentions John Barleycorn as a metaphor for liquor in his famous
> _Tam O' Shanter_, referring to Tam's "courage" when in his inebriated
state
> he discovers a scene of wild witchly revelry:
>>    Inspiring, bold John Barleycorn!
>    What dangers thou canst make us scorn!
>    Wi’ tippenny, we fear nae evil;
>    Wi’ usquabae, we’ll face the Devil!
>>
> nae = no
> tippenny = tuppence, 2 pence/pennies
> usquabae = whiskey

"Tippeny" is a sort of weak beer they used to have in Scotland. It's hard to
remember sometimes that beer was once drunk for its nutritious content,
rather than the modern Scottish beers that are loaded with alcohol, salt and
sugar.

Does your translation need modified in this light? Didn't someone mention
that Frisians used to drink a special sort of weak beer - so there may be a
Low Saxon equivalent?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Sandy (above):

> Does your translation need modified in this light?

It does.  Thanks a lot.

> Didn't someone mention that Frisians used to drink a special sort of weak
> beer - so there may be a Low Saxon equivalent?

Hmm ... I can't think of any.  They drink only expensive beer perhaps.  ;-)

Anyway, I can't decide between the following two possibilities (considering
the rhythm as well):

> Mit twee Penns sünn wi bang vör nix;

(1) Mit Twee-Penn-Beer sünn wi bang vör nix;
      Mit twey-pen-beer sün wy bang vör niks;
      ("With tuppeny beer we're afraid of nought")

(2) Mit Billigbeer sünn wi bang vör nix;
      Mit billig-beer sün wy bang vör niks;
      ("With "cheap-beer" we're afraid of nought")

I kind of lean toward the first.  Any opinions or suggestions, anyone?