LL-L "Folklore" 2004.09.20 (10) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 21 02:54:58 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2004.09.18 (13) [E/LS/S]

Dear Sandy, Tom, Ron & All,

Subject: Folklore

    The Scots are a singularly influential strain in the Afrikaanse 'Eie'
(culture), & a lot of what  we call our own is a direct carry-over through
such great Afrikaans Families as Gordon, Barnard & Murray & their predikants
& dominees. One of these is the enthusiasm for Robert Burns, & any other
Scots poet we can lay our hands on.
    This is what happened to Tam O'Shanter at our hands; he became 'Klaas
Geswind en syn Perd' (Nik Nimble & his Horse).

> > Burns also mentions John Barleycorn as a metaphor for liquor in his
famous
> > _Tam O' Shanter_, referring to Tam's "courage" when in his inebriated
> >state he discovers a scene of wild witchly revelry:

> >    Inspiring, bold John Barleycorn!
> >    What dangers thou canst make us scorn!
> >    Wi’ tippenny, we fear nae evil;
> >    Wi’ usquabae, we’ll face the Devil!

The same stanza comes out like this in Afrikaans.

Die drank is tog 'n snaakse goed:
Hy gee die bangste kêrel moed.
Al is 'n Hotnot nog so olik,
Een sopie maak hom netnou vrolik;
Steek hy maar net 'n dop of drie,
Dan stuit hy g'n duiwel nie.

or,

Drink is surely funny stuff:
It makes a timid fellow bluff.
& though a Hottentot is sad,
a slug'll quickly make him glad;
& give him just a tot or three,
then down a devil, so will he!

Pardon my extemporising. The Afrikaans is the work of F W Reitz, poet &
sometime President of the Orange Free State.

By the way, isn't tuppenny what others would call 'small ale', being made
from the 'smalls', the leavings of the wort, after the strong stuff has been
drawn off? I have a book that says that in the old days boarding-schoolboys
were supplied with that stuff in Dining-Hall - plain water being unsafe to
drink.

Yrs,
Mark.