LL-L "Traditions" 2004.09.23 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 23 14:43:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.SEP.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: Folklore: Coins and Customs in Scotland

Coins figure in at least three pleasant customs, at least in the Edinburgh
area of Scotland.
A. The Wedding.  Local children hang around outside the houses of bride,
groom, and relatives and as they leave by car for the ceremony the kids run
alongside yelling "Poor Oot, Poor Ooot !". People in the vehicle then throw
handfuls of coins out of the windows and a major scramble ensues as kids
collect the largesse.
B. The New Baby. Even now when I meet a new baby here in Oz I feel obliged
to place a dollar coin in its hand in accordance with ancient custom back
home. It's generally accepted that this symbolises an infant starting life
with money in its hand it will never be short of it. A Ukranian colleague
told me it was practised there as well.
C. The Christening. When the family leave the house for church and baptism
it is customary for 'A Christening Piece' to be made up. This consisted of
lots of edible goodies and a generous amount of silver coins and was given
by the mother to the first person she saw in the street. I do not believe
this is an attemnpt to pass on any sins, after all the infant is innocent,
but more a way of sharing good fortune.
Do any of you in other countries have those lovely customs ? I hope the
Scots still practise them.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."