LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.20 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 24 00:10:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.SEP.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language varieties

I'm sorry this is a bit long but I didn't think I should edit it
significantly. I wrote to Dr Katie Lowe about her contribution to the TV
programme previously mentioned as follows:

I was interested to see your contribution to Francis Pryor's TV programme on
Anglo-Saxon origin myths because I have been engaged in a lively debate with
colleagues on the antecedents of Old English. In Dr Pryor's book he suggests
that OE contains traces of non-Germanic grammar and words, though I think
your point was rather that errors were made in acquiring the new language
than that elements were transferred.

One of the things which I thought was fairly well established was that there
were surprisingly few words of Brythonic origin in OE - just a few
geographical terms and placenames. This seems hard to explain if the
acquisition of the new language took place gradually over centuries. My
other thought was that even if the ci-devant Romano-Brits had made a
deliberate decision to adopt newfangled Anglo-Saxon ways, giving up literacy
doesn't seem to be a very bright idea. As far as I know, however, there is
no evidence of writing in the Latin alphabet until the 7th century, nor are
there many runic inscriptions. So, have you published anything in this area,
or failing that can you give me any specific examples of insular effects on
OE?

Dr Lowe replied:

Recent research has been to an extent supportive of Pryor's views and has
arisen out of developments in the theories concerning language contact; such
research suggests that some of the differences between English and other
Germanic languages may be attributable to Celtic influence. However, you
should understand that my interview with Francis actually lasted longer than
two hours, during which I of course made the point about the paucity of
Brittonic loanwords in Old English.  Ultimately I wasn't able to support his
ideas about the Anglo-Saxon invasions largely because of the place-name
evidence, although it's certainly true that the traditional interpretation
has to be revised to an extent.  The acquisition (or loss) of literacy
depends very much on circumstance and the needs of society and is certainly
not during this period regarded as an indispensable technology.
I didn't realise that Francis had published a book alongside the series
until I saw the plug for it, so I don't know whether his statements on it
are based on his understanding of what I told him or whether he had a
different source.  From what you say [above], we're both right; contact
between languages often results in mistakes in the target language during
acquisition. In a related process, elements of structure from the native
language is transferred to the language being learned and in time can
permanently change the target language for all speakers.
My own research interests are somewhat later than this and I haven't
published in this area.  One recent book that I have found interesting is
/The Celtic Roots of English/, eds Markku Filppula, Juhani Klemola and Heli
Pitkänen, Studies in Languages, 37 (Joensuu, 2002).

End of quote

It seems to me (John) that

1. Although Dr Lowe appeared as a witness in favour of Pryor's case she
actually has no specific relevant linguistic expertise and in fact disagrees
with his overall argument.

2. She makes only general statements about how languages interfere with one
another.

3. Pryor presented the decision of the Romano-Brits to acquire the new AS
culture as a very deliberate act. To say that literacy was lost casually
seems inconsistent. No "Hengist loves Horsa" or anything. I wonder if there
are other cases of literacy loss occurring under conditions like those which
Pryor is positing.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk