LL-L "Traditions" 2004.09.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 24 17:20:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.SEP.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2004.09.20 (06) [A/E/Yiddish]

Ron quoted me:
> Gabriele (above):
>
> > In Lower Saxony, bride and groom have to saw through a
> > big log on a sawhorse together in front of the church after
> > the deed is done.
>
> Far be it from me to introduce or encourage suggestiveness on this list
and
> to cast a shadow onto the consistently sparkling humor coming from our
> favorite rodent in the peanut gallery, but don't you think that "after the
> deed is done" is just a tad unfortunately worded in this context?
However,
> maybe it is true that you did not mean the marriage ceremony, in which
case
> one might react by marvelling, "Wow! Those Lower Saxons do know the
meaning
> of the word 'endurance'!"
>
> Anyway, I knew that this was a custom in Southern Germany.  I did not know
> it is found this far north.

Honni soit qui mal y pense! At least I didn't write "the dirty deed" - I
guess my overall poor opinion of the institution of marriage got the better
of me. Still, nowadays, actually tying the knot is probably the only deed to
speak of on the wedding day, because everything else has long become a habit
by then. Still, Ron, it is customary to eventually saw a log after what
you're alluding to as well, but in a different way, and usually not in
public.

Ron, further:
> [Not sure what you get if you combine traditions. A one-time-only visit
from
> the Prepuce Fairy?]
Really! Naughty! So, how do you enjoy the view from the peanut gallery,
yourself?

Still, the mind boggles... what would she bring?

This habit, by the way, was another shock to me when I moved to the States
in 1991. I had no idea that it was a common thing over there to mutilate
little boys, and that many women my age would flat-out refuse to have "that
kind of a relationship" with a man whose body was intact. Since this is
obviously not for religious reasons, I have never quite understood why. But
when I had my third child in Albany, Oregon, they asked me in the hospital
if I wanted him circumsised in case it was a boy.

After I was done giving them my answer, they looked like Linus van Pelt of
the Peanuts after Lucy has given him a peace of her mind (you know, hair
straight backward, horizontal in the air...).

But thanks for reminding me anyway - that daughter has lost a tooth this
morning, and I would have forgotten all about the Tooth Fairy if someone
hadn't mentioned it...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>

Sorry I misspelled "circumcised" in my earlier contribution. But, as we all
know: cise doesn't matter...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Elsie:

> After I was done giving them my answer, they looked like Linus van Pelt of
> the Peanuts after Lucy has given him a peace of her mind (you know, hair
> straight backward, horizontal in the air...).

This has been changing rapidly.  Your opinion, no matter how strongly
voiced, would now rarely shock any medical worker.  If it does, you know you
chose a hospital that is behind the times.  Of course, again it depends on
how progressive or conservative the population of an area is.  There is a
rapidly growing abolition movement.  This, by the way, also includes
numerous Progressive Reformed Jewish communities that perform the ritual but
not the surgery or just make a puncture to draw a drop of blood, also in
adult conversion.  I don't know if it has spread to any Islamic
denominations yet.

> Still, the mind boggles... what would she bring?

Wine and honey.  See John's posting below.

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>

Ron wrote:
"It's not only for Jewish boys but in our generations also for Christian
babies in North American and Australia."

And Jewish boys at least get some wine and honey. I will forgo speculation
about a link with the fact that Jewish men tend to have a low incidence of
alcoholism.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk