LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.24 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 25 00:38:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.SEP.2004 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.24 (11) [E]

Mark, thanks so much!  That's a lot of good information.

I think your explanation has answered my question, but (isn't there always a
but?) looking at the other lowlands languages with cognates of "ruth", they
also seem to have a w in the place that English has the thorn.  Okay, so Old
English orthography has confused a bunch of us moderns.  We see an Old
English thorn and think it's a w.  That explains the original discrepancy.

The cognates provided by several of you gave an example of the Dutch words
"rouwen, ruwelijk" and one Old High German of "hriuwa" etc.  Is this the
same thing as the thorn and w orthographic confusion?

I'm asking this because I'm having trouble reconciling this with the
(in)famous Grimm's Law.  When Old English and Modern English have the theta
sound in *-ruthen, I would expect a frontal stop or fricative in that same
place in the other Germanic languages as well.  I can read Dutch, but my
knowledge of the sound system is limited.  Therefore, the question:  Why w
in the Dutch word "rouwen"?  Is it a /v/ therefore a frontal fricative
(although labial) like German, or is it more of a back glide like in
English?

Thanks.

Mark Brooks