LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.25 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 25 21:15:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.25 (06) [E]

I ain't a native speaker of English, but ain't it possible that  "aren't I"
is a civilizated form of "ain't I" ?
And as "I ain't" would be derived from "I am not", "ain't I" would come from
"am n't I".
"... ain't" can be the negative of  ... am, ... are and ... is > ... am not,
... aren't, ... isn't,
so "ain't ..." can be the interrogatibe negative of   am ... not, are ...
not, is ... not.

But when people wanted to speak more civilized and replaced ain't by
isn't/aren't, they also must have
replaced hypercorrectly their "ain't I?" by "aren't I?"

Ingmar

----------

>"I know that this form is taught in many  ESL classes, probably throughout
>the world, .."
>
>Well, what else could be taught?

"Amn't I?" could be taught. It is the grammatically correct form. It's
certainly the one I teach.

>We recently discussed the widespread but
>incorrect use of "isn't it?" in this situation.  "Am I not?" is possible
but
>not something most people habitually say.

I agree that it is not habitually said and that is because it is an
emphatic form. Example:
"Why should she get preference? I am just as good at the job as she is,
am I not?"

Regards,

Tom [Maguire]

--