LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.27 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 27 23:38:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Daniel Prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.27 (02) [E]

I realise Reihard doesn't want to continue the Esperanto thread, but I
thought I'd throw this in as well.

Grietje Menger wrote:

>>If you put 5 or more Esperanto speaking (but no other communal language)
>>together on a desert island with a good mix of male/female so procreation
>>would ensue and children would be born whose first language would be
>>Esperanto. How long would it take, do you imagine, before Esperanto would
>>display exactly those features that other natural languages have? That is,
>>colloquialisms, "secret" speak (like Cockney rhyming slang). How long
>>would it take, in other words, for it to loose its neutrality?

I don't know about actual existing communities, but I met a Lady some years
ago who had Esperanto as her native language. She had a Polish father and a
Dutch mother (or the other way round, I can't remember). Both her parents
were Esperantists and they met on one of the international meetings, fell in
love, got married and had a daughter. The home language was Esperanto. The
daughter has been living in Vienna for years and her German and English is
flawless - and so is her Esperanto. I heard her speaking it on the phone and
it had a slightly warped Spanishy sound ro it. She also spoke it very
rapidly, so I suppose that's the first thing that happens when an auxiliary
language or a pidgin 'goes native'.

If there were a community with two or more generations using the language
most of the time I'm sure idiom would develop within the first generation of
native speakers.

Dan