LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.28 (11) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 28 23:58:14 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.27 (03) [E]

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>

> <>Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.26 (10) [E]
>
> According to this logic, it would also be grammatically correct to say
> "are
> youn't?", because "aren't you" is an abbreviation of "are not you?", which
> no-one could claim to be correct English. Same goes for "have
> theyn't", "can
> shen't", and, of course, "do youn't". Now THAT is all grammatically
> correct,
> don't you agree? :-)
>
> Gabriele Kahn

It is interesting to use a skewed the paradigm, but not very helpful.

Take as a paradigmatic tag question form "isn't he?" What do you get if
you continue to use "be" and substitute any other pronoun?  This
learning approach - substituting known structures - is used by most
people studying a foreign language while remaining within their own country.

Of course this doesn't always exclude other possibilities, but it is
curious to see to how unacceptable even the applied paradigm becomes
when it is doesn't conform to the 'standard' form.

Regards,

Tom

--
Carpe Diem.