LL-L "Morphology" 2004.09.30 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 30 15:11:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.SEP.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Morphology" [E]

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> Her answer is about Scottish English and therefore perhaps not what Sandy
> meant but she says:

This is probably my fault for giving Scots equivalents in answer to
English-language questions without explaining the distinction, but everyone
should always bear in mind that Scots and Scottish English are two different
languages, both spoken in the Lowlands of Scotland. Some people speak
somewhere on a contimuum between them but, in general, Scots speakers speak
Scottish English as well as Scots, not a mixture of the two.

> >I've always said "aren't I?" and thought that "amn't I?" sounded
affected,
> though it may possibly be normal usage in certain geographical areas. If I
> was teaching I'd definitely go for "aren't I?".  "Am I no?" is very common
> in Scotland, with differing stresses depending on the context and
emphasis.

I might add that while "Am I no?" is probably universal, "Amn't I?" is only
used as a tag and occurs only in those dialects where the "-n't" contraction
is used. Even in those dialects, the word "not" isn't used, except in
certain expressions for strong emphasis (and then it's pronounced "nut"
/nV?/).

> I'm no expert). The Scots also have a habit of using Scots
> expressions to make fun of themselves and others. It's not unusual for
> someone who speaks standard English to use this type of expression in an
> exaggerated tone to poke fun at themselves or someone else. This is

I think I know what she means here but it's not properly explained. She says
"The Scots" but doesn't say whether she means Scots who have English as a
first language or Scots who have Scots as a first language. As for
first-language Scots speakers, it's not Scots expressions we use to make fun
of ourselves, but English expressions. We don't "use" Scots expressions
consciously because Scots is our first language.

> I can see. I do think your correspondent is wrong to say "aren't I?" is
> never used. I'd say "ain't I?" is consciously American.  Then of
> course there's "innit?", which I think is ubiquitous among the young.<

This is confusing Scots with English. I'd be surprised if anyone said
"aren't I?" or "Ain't I?" in Scots. It's never used! Unless Andy or Ian are
going to contradict me on that...

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/