LL-L "Literature" 2005.03.31 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 1 00:33:38 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAR.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2005.03.31 (06) [E]

First, dear Arthur and Robin, let me compliment you with your "Neogothic"
poem of Othmar&Atilla! I don't know if there's also music to this soldier
's song, but anyway it is fantastic enough... And romantic too, I like that

However, I have some critical remarks about it (not the song).

You said the three lines of the Crimean Gothic Catilena are:

"Wara, wara ingdalau; sku te gifa aglithau; haemysoeth forbitha ea".

But what De Busbecq (or his printer) wrote was actually:

"Wara wara ingdolou; Seu te gira Galtzou; hoemisclep dorbiza ea".

as we can see at
http://syllabus.gmxhome.de/gotica/taurica.html
where we find the original (Latin) text of De Busbecq, together with a
small vocubalary.

I think <ou> = [u] like in French, without doubt one of De Busbecq major
languages,  and in Greek - the person who tought him these words and
sentences was a Crimean Greek. I doubt it that the old Germanic thorn -
looking a bit like p or b- would have been known to him or any Crimean,
Gothic or not at that time, and then written incorrectly as p by De
Busbecq. So from DB's <hoemisclep> to your <haemysoeth> is quite a big
step. From DB's <dorbiza> to <forbitha> even bigger, not to speak of from
his <Galtzou> to your <aglithau>...

Looking at the vocabulary, I must say that I don't see why this particular
words are per se Gothic. They look much more Western Germanic to me, a bit
German, a bit Low Saxon, a bit Dutch... If Gothic or another Eastern
Germanic language would have survived so long in that Region, even it's
modern form could never look so North Western European Germanic as these
words do...
It would have kept at least more similarities with neighbouring Greek,
Turkic, Slavic, in its phonology at least, e.g. preservation of unstressed
vowels etc.
Maybe this so-called Crimean Gothics were nothing more than one of the
countless isolated old settlements from Germany in Eastern and South
Eastern Europe, both speaking High German and Low Saxon dialects.
Crimea is a part of Ukraine...

Again, this says nothing about your beautiful poem, Robin and Arthur, just
something about my opinion about this language

With all health,

Ingmar Roerdinkholder

----------

From: Marsha Alley <marshaalley at msn.com>

Unexpected benefits of membership on LL-L.....

Arthur, your mention of the Modern Language Association of America in the
notes to the poem (which is lovely, sad, haunting, by the way) sent me off
in search of them.  Not being an academic, I had no knowledge of them, can't
join, but their website does have a link to their radio program.  Looking
over the archives for 2003 I spotted a program about women writer's in
contemporary Indian literature, the very women I've been searching out since
the late 80's.  I googled a couple of names unfamiliar to me and was taken
to India.com and their wonderful store of books, music, etc.  I now have the
names of 8 authors new to me, upon whom I will undoubtedly spend the bulk of
my spare change over the next year.  I knew this knowledge must be out
there, but where to start, with limited time?

So, thank you, and dang I wish I didn't have to buy groceries!

Marsha
/serendipity abounds