LL-L "Music" 2005.04.03 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 3 19:35:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.APR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.04.02 (04) [E]

Ron posted several poems by Klaus Groth. I'd like to remark that some of
them are contained on Hannes Wader's album "Plattdeutsche Lieder", and that
"De Moel" is set to the tune of "Kelly, the boy from Killanne", while
"Hartleed" is sung to the tune of "The four Marys": "Last night there were
four Marys, tonight there'll be but three: there was Mary Seaton, and Mary
Beaton, and Mary Carmichael, and me."

Which brings me to something I have been wondering about for a while.

Now this is funny... I was going to say that I always thought that Tolkien's
Troll Song from the Fellowship of the Ring should be sung to the tune of
"The fox went out on a chilly night". So I just googled the first line in
order to quote the first verse or so... and found the following on
http://www.electricpenguin.com/blatherings/lotr/archives/00000047.html:

"Regarding tunes: Tolkien said that the tune he had in mind when writing
Sam's troll song (A troll sat alone on a seat of stone...) was The Fox (the
fox went out on a chilly night...) I always heard it to that tune before I
discovered that that was what he intended."

Oh well...

Gabriele Kahn