LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.04 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 4 21:32:20 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.APR.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.04 (04) [E]

Ron wrote:
"Is there any particular reason why you suspect it to be an Old Norse loan?
Could it not have reached Irish from Old English?"

Irish contact with the Vikings and their language was more frequent than
contact with speakers of Old English. When the Anglo-Normans invaded in
1169, they brought Norman French loans with them. There are a number of Old
English loans in Irish - immediately, _bácús_ 'bakery' springs to mind - but
they are few compared to Old Norse. Irish _rún_ may be one. I have an open
mind.

If it was an Old English loan I would expect it to be limited to the area of
the former Pale (roughly Dublin and as far north as south Louth), where Old
English appears to have been spoken most (Fingalian, a relation of Yola,
appears to represent its dying embers), yet _rún_ seems to be represented in
most Irish variants, leading me to suspect that Norse sea travel dispersed
it, or that it is a native Irish term that is only coincidentally identical
to Old English and Old Norse.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.02 (06) [E]

Hi all,
Tom Mc Rae said that Russian kids peep out saying 'Cuckoo'.
Interesting! I grew up saying exactly that (or rather koekoe!) and
think it relates to 'koekeloer'. Another word probably related is
'koewie!' for hello!
Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Hi all,

Ian Pollock referred to Kukushka and Ron remarked: I take it кукушка
_kukuška_ is
the diminutive form of *кукук *_kukuk_ (which may now be archaic or
defunct).

My maternal great-grandmother's maiden name was Kukuk but the name is not
typical amongst Afrikaner surnames.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser