LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 8 14:30:46 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.APR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.07 (08) [E/]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>So - why not call it a Germanic root and be done with it?  Ask
the experts!"
<

OED gives   Germanic  *kni(bar b)az of uncertain etymology   Sorry can't do
a 'bar b' in Compuserve.
Partridge suggest it might be related to LG knipen  G kneifen  = to nip .
Perhaps from those old type shears that one squeezed to close the cutting
edges over one another?????

Heather

----------

From: Jo Thys <Jo.Thijs1 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.07 (05) [E/LS]

Dag Jonny,

> in uns LS-Mundoort bruukt wi aff un' an dat Woord *Knief*,

Dutch has two forms, _knijf_ en  _nijf_ both meaning 'knife'. _Knijpen_
existst next to 'nijpen' as 'knop' to 'nop', and D.'knagen' vs Hg 'nagen'.
Cognates of 'nijpen' are found in Md., MLg _nipen_, Onorse _hnippa_, Lit.
_gnybti_, Let. _knebt_.

Too complicated for conclusions,

Groeten,

Jo Thys