LL-L "Grammar" 2005.04.10 (05) [E/B]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 10 18:38:26 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.APR.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Hi all,
Ingmar, some time ago I've given in a posting to LLL, a listing of Afrikaans
words originating from Malay. The LLL archives should still have these.
On Ron's  questions:
Yes, _huis-huis_ implies continuation (We are playing house)
_Die kinders loop lag-lag winkel toe_(The children run to the shop laughing)
_Sy het hink-hink daar aangekom_ (She arrived there while limping)

Yes: >double adjectives/adverbs expressing intensity: (e.g., _gou-gou_ 'very
fast',
No: _nou-nou_ means 'in a short while'. [I'll say this to request patience.]

Yes, Maleis means Malay and Slams derives from Islam. Many older Cape
people refer to themselves as being 'Slams' meaning Muslim and from Cape
Town.
The earliest Islamic population to arrive in the Cape were Muslim after they
have been forcibly expatriated from the Indonesian archipelago by the Dutch.
It seems from historical writings that they were allowed to take their
religious
leaders with them, hence the earliest writings being religious.
The largest Muslim population in South Africa are still the descendants from
these groups and they are still predominantly Afrikaans speaking despite a
lot of
resistance by younger people to admit it.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Primo
I'm still experimenting a bit with good spellings for the dialect so please
forgive me any inconsequencies - I as well have to get used to writing
spoken language. (For this reason I fear my version of the Wren is also not
as consistent as I'd like. When will it be officially published by the way?)
Remarks, questions, anything will be gladly heard from my side as it would
be ideal if foreign Lowlanders could also read what I write, just like I can
read their Low Saxon spelling without too much problems.

Secundo
Ouver dit/dat enzoevaaier bè oengs in Aantwaarpe (en Broabant in et
algemieën):
Et OA.N. ei twieë geslachte, deze/die en dit/dat.
Waai emme d'r draai (dad un gedroage gelèk et grutste dieël van oengs
adzjektieve)

*mannelek deize(n)/dieje(n)
[De -n- verschent as et volgende wourd begint mè 'ne klinker of mè 'n d/t/b]
*vraawelek deis/die
[Wørd oek gebrouikt veur mieërvaawde]
*onzaaideg deis/da(d)
[De -d verschent as et volgende wourd begint mè ne klinker. D, z en v wørre
stemloeës øtgesprouke achter "da"]

***
About this/that &c. in Antwerp (and a big part of Brabant as well I think)
Standard Dutch has two gender-differing forms here.
We have 3, they have a lot of characteristics (qua inflection) in common
with normal adjectives.

*masc. deize(n)/dieje(n)
[The -n- appears when the next word begins with a vowel or with a d/t/b]
*fem. deis/die
[Is also the plural form]
*neut. deis/da(d)
[The -d- appears in front of a vowel. D, z and v become voiceless t, s, f
when they follow "da"]

Diederik Masure
didimasure at hotmail.com