LL-L "Identity" 2005.04.11 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 11 16:47:28 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.APR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Identity" 2005.04.10 (08) [E]

Ron wrote about the wonderful diversity and acceptance encountered in the
USA...
...and is forgetting that he lives in Seattle, one of the most liberal and
open cities in the country.

I lived on the U.S. West Coast myself for 8 years, including several years
in Portland, Oregon, which is very open and welcoming, and also a year in
Corvallis, Oregon, one of my favourite places in the world.

But then, I also lived on a rural farm for a long time... and I can tell
you that, outside of the big cities, and not only there, things are much
different. I felt that everybody expected I couldn't wait to become
American, shave my legs and whatnot, join a Baptist church and "worship"
every Sunday, listen to Garth Brooks, disfigure myself with nips and tucks
and heavy make-up, raise the pitch of my voice by an octave, coo over
"cute sweaters", and watch all their mind-numbing TV shows. The same is
actually
true for my urban neighbourhood. Ron, you are a) moving in university
circles, and seem to be living in an ivory tower - things tend look a
whole lot better from way up high, and b) a man, which makes a world of a
difference even if you do not perceive it. "Peer" pressure (as if I ever
considered American suburban housewives my peers) is a lot heavier on
those of us who are perceived as "female" by the world. Men are rather
expected
to distinguish themselves, be different in some way or other. Women are
expected to be lookers first and foremost, keep a spotless household next,
and then maybe express themselves through their cooking or the kind of
figurines they collect for their curio cabinet. And these expectations -
imposed by women on other women, mind you - I have found much worse in the
USA than anywhere else in the world. And yes, of course I know there are
exceptions. I was always ready to burst into tears of gratitude whenever I
met one. Usually, though, they were foreigners, too.

It was even worse for my children in school; being taught the "American
way" from childhood on comes close to a brainwashing, and my daughters were
ostracized because they resisted and remained actual individuals who chose
brain over looks, and danced to their own tune. Being German/Dutch made it
worse, of course, because it made them even more "different". Luckily,
they did acquire a few close friends over the years, but on the whole, being
different in any way (other than the accepted ways of being different,
which may include being Latino, black, or perhaps even gay, just as long as
you're athletic - at any rate, belonging to a closely defined group) was an
unforgivable crime.

That said, I, too, never felt particularly German while in exile (I had to
stay there for five more years than I had planned before they let me take
my "American" daughter out of the country - talk about a totalitarian
system), but very, very European instead. Can't wait until there is such a
thing as
an official European citizenship.

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest. Ron, I'm glad for you that you
could keep your Australian citizenship as well.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Identity

You're right, Gabriele, in pointing out that I neglected to make abundantly
clear that there is at least as much local variety in the United States and
Canada as there is in Europe. The fact remains, though, that there is a
difference between local cultures and the law of the land, which was my
point, also between state and federal law, that any law violating the basic
freedoms and the "pursuit of happiness" will have a hard time standing up
supreme court scrutiny, and this includes those pertaining to religion,
dress and language.

As for the "ivory tower" thing, I'm glad you said "seem," because you have
no way of knowing about my movements and social life when I'm off work and
off list.  In actual fact, being intensely interested in people I make it my
mission to move around a good variety of circles, and, yes, I have come
across all sorts, in and out of town.  Seeing the big picture requires
seeing the details first.