LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.04.14 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 14 19:14:57 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.APR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.04.14 (01) [E]

We have a similar "dinges" here, you generally use it when the name or word
doesn't want to come up to your mind immediately.

"Geef mij de dinges eens?"

"Ik heb gisteren dinges nog gezien!" (here it's about a person whose name
you can't remember)

I have no idea if this is considered "good" Dutch or not - I only hear it
spoken, never seen it in written language. (maybe one of our Netherlandic
people here can tell if it's widespread overthere as well)

Diederik Masure

----------

> In Northern German (at least), possibly based on Low Saxon, you can use
> _Dings_ or _Dingsda_ in much the same fashion.  _Ding_ is 'thing', and
> _da_
> is assumedly the word for 'there'.

Even more famous in these days is _Dingsbums_, meaning all the the same.

Greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Lexicon

"Dingsbums," Jonny?  Tja, dat ken ik ook noch.  Dat geev' 't sogaar al vör
my.

Kumpelmenten,