LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 15 18:23:22 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.APR.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.02 (05) [E/LS]

Dear Lowlanners, Reinhard,

in LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.02 (05) [E/LS]
I wrote:

> yesterday I heard another interesting and still used LS-word:
>
> *Weet*:
> HG: '[halbnasses Heu, zum weiteren Trocknen im] ''Schwad''
> E:  '[damp hay lying for further drying in a] ??''line'', ''row'' ???
> (help needed, at this point!).
>
> My first idea was, it could be cognate with "weed" (HG: 'Un-[kraut])- but
> in
> LS we 've got the verb 'weeden', HG: '[Unkraut] jäten', E: of course! 'to
> weed'.
> Then I remembered having heard North-Frisians using "weet" in the good old
> sense of E: "wet", G: 'feucht'.
>
> I guess it to be remarkable- it could be Low-Saxon's nearly forgotten
> connection to E: 'wet', and I don't know any HG-word even in the near.

Sorry- amateurish investigated! Smalltime-etymologist, me!

I have to withdraw all of it, because yesterday I had to learn, that this
word only is used in an area (and spread out a little into the
surroundings), which had been settled by Dutch/Frisian colonists.
It is a small district, consisting of a handfull villages, just about 10 km
away from my home, called "Sietland" (E: lowland).
In the 13. century we had an arch-bishop of Bremen, who was a Dutch count.
He started to cultivate waste, wet land with his countrymen, and some more
waves of Dutch/Frisian immigrants followed in the 14. century.

Isn't it interesting to learn, that these people completely melted with the
native population, but there are still, after 700!! years, thus obvious
relicts of their language?

Greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Moyen, Jonny!

About this _sydland_ ... To me it connotes low-lying, often wet land (from
_syd(')_ 'shallow'), probably at or below sea level, whereas I would call
the general lowlands of Europe _platland_ ("flat land," cf. Afrikaans
_platteland_) or _leygland_ (from _leyg(')_ 'low', also > 'inferior',
'bad').  To me, _sydland_ tends to be more limited in size.

How does this sit with you and others?