LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.17 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 17 23:21:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.APR.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.17 (03) [E]

You may be interested to know that the Russian word for a German is
немец ('njEmIts), which literally means "mute person". This is because,
of course, they couldn't speak the local languages of Slavic countries.
If you don't speak our language, you must be mute.
The only exception to this rule I know of is the word for Germany
itself - Германия (gjErm'anijV), although I'm not sure that holds true
through all the Slavic languages. As I recall Ukrainian has a word
related to немець for the country as well.
-Ian Pollock

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>

Lieve Leeglanners,

Ron spoke of generalizing other ethnic groups. Reminds
me of the Russian word _nemetz_ for German; literally,
_not of us_. In a way, I felt like that about the US
Admiral Chester NIMITZ.
Grueten,
Arthur

Arthur A. Jones
arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: Etymology

Leeve Lowlanners,
(English below)

miin Woord van vandoog is:

LS: *Tiff*, HG: 'Hündin, E: 'bitch'.

Ditt Woord waard ook ne meer foken bruukt, in miin Tiid as Jungkeerl hevvt
wi 't noch goud kennt.

In miin etymoloog'sch Wöörbökers (Oul-Sassisch, Oul-Frees'sch, Oul-Ingelsch)
steit dor heel nix över, obschounst ick glööv, wat door wat tohaup hangen
kunn mit dat Ingelsche E: 'tiff', HG: 'kleine Meinungsverschiedenheit'.

Is dat an dennen Innen van Franzöös'schen  Orsprong?

***

Dear Lowland-folk,

my today's word is:

LS: *Tiff*, HG: 'Hündin, E: 'bitch'.

We don't use this word often in our times, but I still know it well from my
teen-ages.

I can't discover itself and the family in my etymological lexica, as there
are Old-Saxon, Old-Frisian and Old-English, though I found E: 'tiff' in the
meaning of HG: 'kleine Meinungsverschiedenheit'. There is a slight
(halfpennie-worth; is it still in use??) idea they could relate.

Is it of French origin at last?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ian (above):

> The only exception to this rule I know of is the word for Germany
> itself - Германия (gjErm'anijV), although I'm not sure that holds true
> through all the Slavic languages. As I recall Ukrainian has a word
> related to немець for the country as well.

So Russian makes a difference between the ethnicity/language and the
country: adjectival "German": немецкий _nemeckij_ (ethnic/linguistic) vs
германский _germanskij_ (pertaining to the country).  I've always preferred
this from a diversity point of view.

Ukrainian: німецький _nimec'kyj_ vs германський _herman'skyj_, country:
Германiя ~
Німеччина  _Hermanija_ ~ _Nimeččyna_

Belarusian: adjective: нямечки _njamečki_, country: Нямеччына _Njameččyna

Polish: adjective: _niemiecki_, country: _Niemcy_

Czech: adjective: _německý_, country:  _Německa_

Upper Sorbian: adjective: adjective: _ němski_, language: _němčina_, person:
_němc_ (pl.) _němcy_), country: _Němska_ ~ _Němskeje_, regions: Němcy

Jonny (above):

> LS: *Tiff*, HG: 'Hündin, E: 'bitch'.

Oh, man, Jonny!  Dat is maal wedder 'n radel!

De etymologen weett niks vun de afkumst vun Ingelsch _tiff_ af, ook niks vun
_snit_ 'vuynsch-syn_, _muksch-syn_.

The origin of English "tiff" appears to be obscure, as is that of "snit."

Kumpelmenten,