LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.17 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 18 04:07:58 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.APR.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi everyone.

Jonny, you wrote:

"LS: *Tiff*, HG: 'Hündin, E: 'bitch'.

We don't use this word often in our times, but I still know it well from my
teen-ages."

Could this be at all related somewhat obscurely to Middle Saxon 'tike' also
meaning bitch coming from Germanic tikô?

"though I found E: 'tiff' in the meaning of HG: 'kleine
Meinungsverschiedenheit'. There
is a slight (halfpennie-worth; is it still in use??) idea they could
relate."

The halfpenny has sadly passed away, although the phrase lives on, albeit a
bit dated. Or did you mean the word 'tiff' which is very much alive, and is
also in such phrases as 'He's in a tiff', or 'She's having a tiff' meaning
they're in a bad mood. My etymology states for English tiff 18th Century
obscure.

Gary