LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.19 (03) [A/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 19 14:44:07 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: embryomystic at cogeco.ca <embryomystic at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.18 (03) [E/LS]

Ben Bloomgren wrote:
> Hello, list, what is the origin of the suffix ock? I
> have only heard it in two words:  hillock and bullock.
> In hillock, it sounds like a diminutive. A bullock is a
> baby bull or ox, right? From where comes this suffix?

I don't know whether this is the origin of the endings on hillock and
bullock, but Scots has a diminutive ending -ock.
It comes from the Gaelic -ag (the final consonant is unvoiced, I'm told),
which is also a diminutive, cognate to Irish -óg. It's used in Scots quite
productively, I understand, and sometimes paired with the other
diminutive, -ie, to produce -ockie.

Regards,

Isaac M. Davis

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L Etymology" 2005.04.18 (01) [A]

Dag julle,

In Afrikaans is 'teef/tewe' ook 'n wyfiehond, en gebruiklik as skeldnaam vir
'n veglustige vrou.

Ron, ek ken 'tjip' (betekenis: bemoeisiek of skinderbek) in Afrikaans maar
dis nie gebruiklik in Afrikaans nie, en ek dink dit kom van Oos-Kaapse
Engels.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

>Name van een vrouwgieshond. Maor 't wurdt ok as schimpwoord veur sommigen
van 't vrouwelijk geslacht bruukt.

In welke dialekten is ook "tsip" [(t)sIp] (meyrtal "tsippen" ['(t)sIp=m])
<Zipp(en)> begenglich.

---------